This is the place to collect your memories about Atlanta’s hip community from about 1967 to about 1977 – “Something happening here. What it is ain’t exactly clear”. Whatta Decade! How was it for you?
We need other perspectives to get it right.
What was it like to be: a gay man or woman in Atlanta before 1967?
a hip African American in Lester Maddox Georgia?
a biracial couple in Lester Maddox Georgia?
We don’t know, but you might be able to tell us.
Did the ch-ch-changes change your life?
Curious minds want to know.
Here is what we want to know to start- (digress freely)
1.When did you first come to Atlanta and what brought you here?
2. When did you first visit The Strip?
3. What was your best experience associated with The Strip and the hip community?
4. What was your worst experience associated with The Strip and the hip community?
5. Did your experiences at that time effect your life? If so, what did you learn or take away from it all?
6. It seems everyone around in that time and place has an Allman Brothers story. Share your Allman Brothers story if you have one please.
Tell us to what name you wish your story accredited. If you wish to use a “street name” or be anonymous, please give us a way to contact you for furthur information.
If you are in the Atlanta area, we can arrange to digitally tape your interview if you prefer.
Where are you now and whatcha doin?
- Underground Comics
Atlanta Hippies loved Underground Comics! Mr. Natural was Keepin’ on Truckin’ everywhere. The Celestial Omnibus sported Mr. Natural. Atlanta also had its own underground comics. Here are the few I have. Anyone have more to share?
- Chattahoochee River Raft Race Read more >>
- Dave Hoffman
Dave Hoffman writes-
(I’d love ... Read more >>
- “…he not busy being born is busy dying…”
The Great Speckled Bird 5/12/69 vol 2 #9 p11
“I will secretly accept you,
And together we’ll fly South.”
“Leave your stepping stones behind
There’s something that calls for you.
Forget the dead you left, they will ... Read more >>
- Diamond Lil
RIP Diamond Lil 8/10/2016 @ 80 ( a secret no longer kept)
Coming into Atlanta from small town South Georgia in 1968 I had never met an openly gay person before and was a bit shocked at first. Lil regularly hung out at her ... Read more >>
- Jimi Hendrix Blows Atlanta’s mind
Soft Machine, Amboy Dukes, Vanilla Fudge and Jimi Hendrix Experience’s two shows at Atlanta’s Municipal Auditorium blew away Atlanta’s collective mind on Saturday August 17, 1968. Have you ever been Experienced? Now we could answer in the affirmative. Musicians in particular talk about this show ... Read more >>
- Harry Demille
Patti and Judith move from Florence, Alabama to Atlanta
Moving into the 12th ... Read more >>
- Duane Allman obituary Issue of The Great Speckled Bird
Great Speckled Bird v. 4 no. 45 (November 8, 1971) available as a pdf from Georgia State University Library here.
- Steve Wise interview
(This was shot on the very northern edge of Piedmont Park across from office at 240 Westminster ... Read more >>
- Wolfe interviewed by Bill Horrisberger for StoryCorps
Kudos to Bill Horrisberger for his earlier StoryCorp interview.
Clifton Night Ministry
Bill Horrisberger- conscientious objector
Little Five Points fences
the Ex-Prez Way
Bill Horrisberger on shelters
Wolfe is a good man!